Ernst Fuchs was born in 1930 as the only child of Maximilian and Leopoldine Fuchs in Vienna. He worked as a painter, sculptor, musician, graphic artist, author and philosopher and is considered one of the founders of the "Viennese School of Fantastic Realism". Ernst Fuchs' paintings are often characterized by religious and mystical contents. In his early work he relied on painting, later he also recorded records, designed interior decorations and created stage sets for operas and plays. He cultivated a strong friendship with Arno Breker and Salvador Dalí.
Due to his father's Jewish origins and the ensuing hostility of the National Socialists, 12-year-old Ernst Fuchs was baptized in 1942 as a Roman Catholic in Ernst Peter Paul Fuchs, after his then role model Peter Paul Rubens. Since he was denied admission to grammar school, he initially received private drawing and painting lessons from Alois Schiemann, and from 1945 also sculpture lessons from Emmy Steinböck and Fritz Fröhlich. After the war in 1946 he enrolled at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and studied with Robin Andersen and Albert Paris Gütersloh. In 1950 he moved to Paris, from where he travelled to America, Italy, Spain and England. During this period he also moved to Israel for a year, where he worked on his largest painting “Last Supper”. In 1962 he returned to Vienna, where he received a professorship. Together with his colleagues Wolfgang Hutter, Arik Brauer, Rudolf Hausner and Anton Lehmden, he was one of the founders of the "Viennese School of Fantastic Modernism". He achieved his artistic breakthrough with new themes, permeated by Eros and myth. He created several monumental works. He also designed several pieces of furniture and jewellery for his new wife. In 1972 Ernst Fuchs acquired the Otto Wagner Villa in Vienna Hütteldorf, had it carefully restored and shortly thereafter opened his own studio with a specially designed interior. However, Fuchs himself was abroad a lot, created stage sets in Hamburg and Munich, worked in Italian foundries on his small figures "Sphinx" and "Janus" and created pastels, watercolours and drawings during his travels. In 1989 he began work on the Apocalypse Chapel in Klagenfurt, the completion of which he worked on for 20 years. Throughout his life he received several awards, including the Medal of Honor for Services to the State of Vienna and the Prize of the City of Vienna for Fine Arts.