Max Weiler, one of the outstanding personalities of Austrian painting of the 20th century, was born on 27 August 1910 in Absam near Hall in Tyrol as the son of a judge. His impressive, seven-year intensive work is essentially about landscape and nature as seen and perceived reality. In addition to his paintings, which were painted exclusively in Eitempera after 1960, the work includes a huge, distinctive oeuvre as well as numerous frescos, as well as mosaics, ceramic wall and glass paintings in the public space.
From 1930-37 Max Weiler studied at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. In 1937 he received the Rome prize. From 1945-47 he painted frescos in St Teresa’s Church on the Hungerburg mountain in Innsbruck and from 1954-55 murals in Innsbruck’s main station. In 1960 he represented Austria at the Biennale in Venice and one year later was awarded the Grand Austrian State Prize. He was professor of painting at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna from 1964-81. In 1979 he was presented with the Austrian Medal of Honour for Science and Art. In 1995 he became an honorary member of the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna and in the year 2000 an honorary citizen of the city of Vienna and he was awarded the Grand Golden Medal of Honour with the Star in recognition of his services to the Republic of Austria. There have been numerous exhibitions of his work in Austria and abroad, including in the late 1990s at the Chinese National Gallery in Beijing, 1998, and in 1999 at the Künstlerhaus and the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna. He died in Vienna in 2001.