Paul Kirnig

(Bielitz, Schlesien 1891 - 1955 Wien)
The Austrian painter and graphic artist Paul Kirnig, who was born on the 16th of March 1891 in Bielsko in Silesia, has a special place in the Austrian art of the inter-war period of the 20th century. His paintings were won mainly by the exhibitions in 1995 "Industriebilder - Kirnig" in Innsbruck and "Die Neue Sachlichkeit. Austria 1918 to 1938 "in the Bank Austria Kunstforum in Vienna a new acquaintance.
Kirnig moved to Vienna after graduation in 1908 to study at the Technical University of Chemistry. In 1914 he was called to the Italian front, where he returned home a year later. Kirnig attended the painting school St. Anna in Vienna, before he enrolled in the study of the fine art and form theory at the Viennese art academy with Prof. Bertold Löffler and Franz Cizek in 1919. From 1924, Kirnig also worked as an assistant lecturer and assistant at the Kunstgewerbeschule and taught the specialist class for painting and workshop for printing processes. From 1929 he taught this class together with Prof. Löffler, who succeeded him as leader in 1935. In 1945, Kirnig also took over the management of the specialist class for utility, illustration and fashion graphics. In 1951, Kirnig was appointed an extraordinary professor and two years later a full university professor. In 1955 he was awarded the prize of the City of Vienna for Fine Arts. Kirnig dealt mainly with the representation of industrial and technical motifs, and usually placed them in a dramatic to heroic context. While he was already very successful in his work and teaching in the field of advertising graphics, his paintings were only acknowledged after his death.

Works